Techno Press
You logged in as Techno Press

Earthquakes and Structures
  Volume 7, Number 5, November 2014, pages 779-796
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.779
 


High-strength RC columns subjected to high-axial and increasing cyclic lateral loads
Muhammad Y. Bhayusukma and and Keh-ChyuanTsai

 
Abstract
    This experimental investigation was conducted to examine the behavior and response of high-strength material (HSM) reinforced concrete (RC) columns under combined high-axial and cyclic-increasing lateral loads. All the columns use high-strength concrete (fc\' =100 MPa) and high-yield strength steel (fy =685 MPa and fy=785 MPa) for both longitudinal and transverse reinforcements. A total of four full-scale HSM columns with amount of transverse reinforcement equal to 100% more than that required by earthquake resistant design provisions of ACI-318 were tested. The key differences among those four columns are the spacing and configuration of transverse reinforcements. Two different constant axial loads, i.e. 60% and 30% of column axial load capacity, were combined with cyclically-increasing lateral loads to impose reversed curvatures in the columns. Test results show that columns under 30% of axial load capacity behaved much more ductile and had higher lateral deformational capacity compared to columns under the 60% of axial load capacity. The columns using closer transverse reinforcement spacing have slightly higher ductility than columns with larger spacing.
 
Key Words
    high-strength concrete; high-yield strength steel; high-axial load, RC column, cyclic loads, ductility
 
Address
Muhammad Y. Bhayusukmaand and Keh-ChyuanTsai: Department of Civil Engineering, National Taiwan University,
No. 1, Sec. 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei, Taiwan
 

Techno-Press: Publishers of international journals and conference proceedings.       Copyright © 2021 Techno Press
P.O. Box 33, Yuseong, Daejeon 305-600 Korea, Tel: +82-42-828-7996, Fax : +82-42-828-7997, Email: info@techno-press.com